Updates - 18 December 2015

Hello everyone,

Well, the Arizona Daily Sun published its Year In Review: Top 10 K-12 Education Stories of 2015 article this week.  I guess it's fair to say I'm pleased that Marshall played a role, and (even better) was generally portrayed in a positive light, in at least three of the articles they selected for this retrospective, including their #1 education headline for the year: New York 'gamer' arrested in connection with FUSD threats.

A reminder, for sure, of a period in Marshall's history that most of us would rather forget.  But also, I hope, a reminder to each of you of the praise and support and sympathy that you all received so generously from every corner of our community.  Throughout that awfulness, really, there was no one who had anything but wonderful things to say about how you all handled things, how you kept our kids safe, and how you all continually worked together, and so diligently, to revise and refine our practices in this regard.

I'm proud of you and continue to be pleased to work alongside each of you here at Marshall.

You really are the very best.

For the record, the other stories in which Marshall played a role were #6 Will Marshall lead the way on K-8 expansion? and #10 Tax-credit donations vary widely by school.

Staff Shirts
I'm sorry to have to report that our annual staff T-shirts have been delayed in shipment and will not arrive in time to be distributed to all of you before we leave for Winter Break.  A bummer, indeed.  But hopefully upon our return to work on 04 Jan. we'll have brand-new Marshall staff shirts waiting for us.

They're (almost all) here!

I'm excited about this year's shirt and I hope you like it.  It's intended to convey to all who see you wearing it the strength, tenacity, optimism, and capability I feel resides in each of you as members of Marshall's staff.

Laptops
Teachers, please pay special attention to the email sent to you by Mary Knight on Thursday of this week bearing the subject line Marshall Laptop Upgrade.  Lots of important deets therein pertaining to how, when, and where you will sign-up to acquire your new FUSD laptop computer.

Site-based 301
We have a couple of site-based, Marshall-only 301 opportunities coming up in 2016.  The first will be a book-study on Cafe and Daily 5 strategies that will be conducted by several Marshall teachers who have attended The Sister's annual conference in Las Vegas.  The second, which will be led by Praxis supervisor Judith LeFevre, will cover co-teaching strategies focusing on helping you work more productively and effectively with student-teachers and practicum students.

You may have to pick and chose some in order to participate in these trainings.  Remember: 301 regulations permit you to only apply six hours of your total 301 pay-out to site-based opportunities.

Both "classes" should be available for sign-up in TrueNorth Logic after the start of the new year.

Calendar
Week B
  • Friday 08 Jan
    • B-GDM in Music Room, 7:45
    • Q2 Report Cards go home, 3:20