Q5: An effective leader should...

Click to enlarge
Leadership Survey item number five stated A sustainable, effective leader at Marshall should...

The response chosen most often as your top priority was identify and utilize staff strengths and lead collaboratively.

As a follow-up to this response, your groups were asked to provide feedback about how you believe an effective administrator [would] better identify staff strengths and lead in a more collaborative manner.

In reviewing your responses, several interesting ideas were suggested.  You believe an effective administrator should:
  1. conduct an interest survey at the beginning of each school year
  2. provide opportunities for the faculty to engage in open dialog
  3. make more informal visits to classrooms
  4. delegate or share more responsibilities with staff members
  5. listen
  6. attend CT meetings on a more consistent basis
Here's what I can say about all that:
  1. I will conduct an interest survey at the beginning of next year and hope that all of you are able to tell me what kinds of committees, activities, events, and project you're interested in helping to coordinate here at Marshall.
  2. I will make every effort to not only provide time for socializing prior to our monthly professional development time, but likewise to set aside time on a periodic basis, as opportunities arise before or after formal faculty meetings for open dialog
  3. It is already my goal to make at least two trips around the school building everyday which are dedicated to dropping into each classroom for a short time just to see what's going on.  Similarly, when I am available, I try to be involved in the lunchroom, as well as in the front of the building both before and after school.  Most days I am able to achieve these objectives.  But I will make it my goal to be even more visible in your classrooms, in the lunchroom, and in the hallways as time, disciplinary demands, and sundry other concerns on my schedule allow.
  4. I am happy that some of our committees are running independently and have done my best to encourage others to become more independent of my presence.  But I will work more diligently to enable more of you, as individuals and as committees alike, to take on the the work of the school.  I welcome the assistance and hope to improve my ability to know how, when, and to whom to delegate the many components that enable our school to function efficiently and productively.
  5. I will work harder to listen better, seek your input more actively, and empower you to participate in decision making at Marshall School.  I am happy to.
  6. If there's one aspect of my experience learning this new job that continues to vex me it's been my persistent inability to attend more of your CTs on a more regular basis.  I set it as a goal after the new year to attend more CTs than I had been able to attend during the fall, but thus far my track record is little-improved.  I am sorry about this and want to assure you that I continue to have hopes to change this for the better.