Updates - 31 March 2017

Hello everyone,

Remember, almost exactly a year ago today, I quit my job?

But not for reals.

Just so you know: I've no plans to spoof you again this April Fool's season, or ever again, such as I did last year.  As far as I'm concerned, you're safe from such jokes and pranks coming from me, especially since 01 April won't fall on a Friday again (and thus coincide with a Blue Note) until the year 2022. And, if all goes according to plan, I hope to have been officially retired for reals for some time at that point.

And that's no joke.

What's Your Plan, Stan?
Speaking of quitting or retiring for reals, I've already heard from a few of you that it's your intention to not return to Marshall next year in order to seek other forms or modes or avoidances of employment elsewhere. This is part of the natural order of things and a circumstance I've come to accept.  Nevertheless, it is but rarely that this is news I accept with any sort joy in my heart.  I am, at this point in my tenure, extraordinarily proud of the team we've assembled here, so it's always with a measure of remorse that I accept your resignations or hear of your plans to "put yourself out there" to seek a place of employment for yourself that you feel might be more personally fulfilling or better suited to your temperament.

Anyways, here we are, it's almost April and we're waaaay past the point in the year where we should have a plan in place for who's teaching-what-where for the coming year. But we don't.  In fact we're actually at the point in the year where I like to have already posted and begun screening applicants for our open positions for the coming year.  I've always been of the opinion that it's now (rather than later) when we tend to garner the highest quality candidates, those who will be best able to work with our particularly challenging blend of students and and our complex schedule and thus carry the mantle of Marshall Magnet School forward into the future, ya know.

But that's not where we are, we haven't posted jobs-for-hire yet for a host of reasons.

If you haven't already told me what your intentions are for next year, please do so soon, stop in or shoot me an email.  It will be helpful for me to know these things as we (hopefully soon) begin to draft our staffing plan and tentative special and extracurricular class schedules for the coming year.

AZMerit Testing
Our testing calendar officially began on Thursday this week, when our fourth graders sat for their annual AIMS Science test.  However, the bulk of the testing that we must accomplish will begin on Tuesday 04 April when the fifth graders complete their AZMerit Writing tests.  AZMerit testing will continue through Thursday next week and every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday through 20 April.  Fridays will be reserved each week for make-up testing.

Otherwise, don't forget, on 05 and 06 April and again on 12 and 13 April we will flip-flop the 2/3 and 4/5 lunch times in order to allow our students to complete their tests during the morning session rather than in the afternoon.

Finally, thanks for keeping your classes extra quiet as you move them through the halls, and away from the building during recess, as we endure three long weeks of mandated testing.

Calendar

  • Wednesday 05 Apr
    • PTO meeting in the Library, 6:30
  • Thursday 06 Apr
    • Faculty meeting in the Library, CANCELED



Please acknowledge that you read this post.