Here's a curious thing that's recently come to my attention:
FUSD School Board Policy G-4600 states:
FUSD School Board Policy GCL-R states:
However, FUSD School Board Policy GCL states:
Additionally, FUSD School Board Policy GCL states:
Finally, FUSD School Board Policy GCL-R also contains this policy as well:
As you know, in FUSD the school-day bell schedule is set district-wide and, at present, runs from 8:35 until 3:20 each day.
And Policy GCL-R which similarly states:
In view of all this, I will no longer require you to be present at the school from 8:15 until 3:45. You may choose to arrive at 8:20. However, if you do so, please note that your end-of-day departure time must be similarly revised to 3:50 in order to remain in compliance with your contracted work-day.
On your established morning-duty day, I will appreciate it if you would be willing to be on-site for your once-per-week morning recess duty at 8:15. However, if you are unwilling or unable to do so, I will perform the five extra minutes of this duty in your stead. If this is the case, please arrive for your duty no later than 8:20.
For the record, I have revised the language in our Professional Expectations document to state:
If you elect to change your "shift" from 8:15-3:45 to 8:20-3:50, let me know, in order for me to be prepared to start recess duty five minutes prior to your contractual arrival time on the day of your once-weekly duty assignment. Sending me an email to this effect will suffice.
Please note: this amendment of my expectations has been reviewed by the Superintendent.
If you have persistent questions about these policies, please feel free to bring them to me.
I hereby acknowledge that I received and read this post.
All professional staff members shall report to their duty stations on time each workday and shall, as scheduled, be available there until the designated time(s) they are scheduled to leave.
FUSD School Board Policy GCL-R states:
Elementary Schools: The teacher workday is from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. each day.
However, FUSD School Board Policy GCL states:
The professional work day for staff members shall be: Elementary from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Additionally, FUSD School Board Policy GCL states:
Elementary teachers shall decide their own arrival and departure times (based on a seven and one-half [7 1/2] hour workday.
Finally, FUSD School Board Policy GCL-R also contains this policy as well:
Teachers will not be required to supervise students until fifteen (15) minutes before class time.
As you know, in FUSD the school-day bell schedule is set district-wide and, at present, runs from 8:35 until 3:20 each day.
As you likewise know, as a part of our Professional Expectations document, which you all were asked to sign at the beginning of the school year, I have asked that you arrive at work no later than 8:15 and that you be present at work until 3:45, in order to be in compliance with your 7.5 hour contracted work-day.
For the record, I would like to point out that I have, as your principal, made every attempt to abide by Board Policy GCL where it states:
On Fridays, or on days preceding holidays or vacations, staff members may, with prior approval of their principal and upon dismissal of students and the discharge of professional responsibilities, be permitted to terminate their work day prior to the normal departure time as stated above. The building principal may, at his discretion, authorize staff members' early departure on such days when they have discharged their duties.
And Policy GCL-R which similarly states:
An employee who has received prior permission from the principal or immediate supervisor may be excused from arriving late to work or departing early due to special circumstances that are short-term in nature. An employee who has an actual documented emergency may be excused from arriving late to work or departing early. The employee must contact the supervisor as soon as possible to provide notice of the emergency.
In view of all this, I will no longer require you to be present at the school from 8:15 until 3:45. You may choose to arrive at 8:20. However, if you do so, please note that your end-of-day departure time must be similarly revised to 3:50 in order to remain in compliance with your contracted work-day.
On your established morning-duty day, I will appreciate it if you would be willing to be on-site for your once-per-week morning recess duty at 8:15. However, if you are unwilling or unable to do so, I will perform the five extra minutes of this duty in your stead. If this is the case, please arrive for your duty no later than 8:20.
For the record, I have revised the language in our Professional Expectations document to state:
Faculty members are expected to be at work from 8:15 until 3:45 or 8:20 until 3:50.
If you elect to change your "shift" from 8:15-3:45 to 8:20-3:50, let me know, in order for me to be prepared to start recess duty five minutes prior to your contractual arrival time on the day of your once-weekly duty assignment. Sending me an email to this effect will suffice.
If you have persistent questions about these policies, please feel free to bring them to me.
I hereby acknowledge that I received and read this post.