Item number six on the School Leadership Survey stated: Data-driven decision making should...
The response chosen as the most important by the faculty was: ...be based on accurate and recurring assessments.
As a follow-up to this response, your table-groups were asked to respond to the following questions: Do opportunities exist for us to become even more focused on the data we gather from recurring assessments such as AIMSWEB, 4-Sight, and our own common assessments? If so what might they be?
In reviewing your responses, one general sentiment comes through loud and clear from nearly every group, although it was expressed in a variety of creative ways. You said:
How could we possibly do more?!
No more, please!
Too much testing.
Too many tests.
Data is not everything!
We need to seek balance!
I get the message! It's very obvious that you're feeling very whelmed, if not totally overwhelmed, by our efforts to collect, understand, and utilize data in effective ways. And that comes as no surprise. In fact, I'd be shocked if most of us weren't feeling this way. We're doing more with data, and in more meaningful and valuable ways this year than we've ever done before. And we know now, better than ever before, that data collection and data disaggregation and interpretation takes time. Lots of time. And you've been asked to put in that time more this year than ever before as well.
And you have put in the time!
So it stands to reason: we're all feeling a little inundated by data. And we don't want any more!
Fine. Perhaps that's it then. Perhaps there aren't ways for us to become even more focused and dialed-into the data we gather. That's a possibility. It's certainly the one that seems to be at the core of the sentiments you expressed.
But I'm going to remain optimistic. I'm going to hold out hope that, as we get better at understanding the data we gather, and more efficient and precise at gathering it in truly meaningful ways, such as via common formative and summative assessments as well as Common Core benchmarks and the like, that we will, one day soon, discover that there are indeed ways for us to do all of this better, in far more focused and meaningful ways. Optimistically, I think there are. And I think, as we move forward through the CT, RTI, benchmark testing, and common-assessing process we're going to discover these ways. Organically. As a natural part of the time we spend together planning and preparing collaboratively. Have I identified what these ways are? No. But I don't think I need to. I think you'll do that.
No need to rush it. Just keep working together. Don't give up on the data. Use it for what it is and what it can tell you. But be mindful of how we might better utilize some of the new tools that are coming down the pike. Be equally mindful about how we might improve those that we already have, too.
Please. Just remain open to opportunities to improve how we do what we do. Always. That's all I ask.
