Updates - 09 March 2018

Hello everyone,

Rain rain, go away.

Actually I don't mean that.  But it does look like it's gonna rain (not snow) in the Saturday-Sunday timeframe this weekend.  The way I'm looking at it, this winter, I'll take any and all precip in whatever form it comes and try, as always, to never begrudge the rain for raining.

Another storm in the 16-17 March window, I think.  And, at the moment, this one looks like it could be doozy.  Stay tuned...

International Women's Day
As many of you know, yesterday, 08 March, was International Women's Day and, as I've said many times in the past, it continues to be my great privilege to have been included, for the entire duration of my career as a professional educator, amongst so many amazing women. I love riding bikes and drinking beers with my buddies. Still, it's no secret that I generally tend to prefer the company of your gender to that of my own, especially on a professional basis.  Likewise, most of you are aware of the fact that I'm not reluctant to blame my oft clouded judgement, and inherited inability to access certain components of my still nascent emotional intelligence, on the Y chromosome I got from my father.

Nonetheless, I remain grateful for the instructive insight, the ceaseless compassion, and the ever-patient instruction in what I've come to view as my second-language, which I have received from the many awesome women who have played strong, passionate lead roles in my life as I've grown from boyhood to manhood.  It's not always easy to be a boy (nor a girl, either, I'm sure), both nature and nurture too commonly conspire to make us complicated, interpersonally tone-deaf, and sometimes even broken creatures.  It has been, without a doubt, the women in my life who have collaborated to save me from this fate, often from myself, and always from my baser selfish impulses.

I am indeed one of the thousands of man-children (and women-children alike) who would not be who we are today, were it not for the roles strong women have played in our lives.

Beginning with my mom and extending now through my long loving partnership with Lisa, and of course to our daughter, and finally to so many of you, please know: my (hopefully always appropriate, never creepy) affection and admiration for you, and for all that you do, abides, always, in both my heart and mind.

Yes For FUSD
There hasn't exactly been a run on the Yes For FUSD raffle tickets that I mentioned here last week.  So, I'm gonna republish the information below, just in case you forgot about this opportunity to support this important public school advocacy group.

If you would like to be involved in this effort, I would encourage you to reach out to the organization via their webpage.  Or, if you'd like to help them raise funds for printing and mailing, you might want to buy a raffle ticket or two... I've got them in my office.  There are two kinds, red and white.  The first, for five bucks each are the white ones.  They will enter you to win Diamondbacks pre-season tickets.  The game is on 24 March and the drawing will take place on 15 March.  The second kind are red.  They are ten bucks each (or two for $18, five for $40, or 15 for $100) and they will enter you to win a week in a condo at Lake Tahoe which will be available between 30 December 2018 and 06 January 2019.  As a bonus, the more expensive red tickets will go into the white ticket drawing, too.

All the proceeds go to Yes For FUSD.

Early Release Lunch Schedules
Next week Thursday and Friday, 15 and 16 March, lunches will run on our regular Friday lunch schedule.  Regular school lunches (not sacks) will be served both of those days and school will be dismissed at 12:25.

On Wednesday, 14 March, we will dismiss school at 11:10 and our sack lunch schedule that day will be as follows:
  • 9:35-9:55 -- K-1 eat lunch 
    • 9:55-10:15 -- K-1 on playground 
  • 10:00-10:20 -- 2-3 eat lunch 
    • 10:20-10:40 -- 2-3 on playground 
  • 10:25-10:45 -- 4-5 eat lunch 
    • 10:45-11:05 -- 4-5 on playground

 Janelle also made
the front page of the
Arizona Daily Sun on Sunday
Viola Awards Update
Congratulations to Janelle Reasor!  Janelle won the Flagstaff Arts Council's Arts Community Impact (Individual) Viola Award at this season's event last weekend.

Calendar
  • Monday 12 Mar
    • Grand Canyon Univ in staff lounge at lunchtime
  • Wednesday 14 Mar
    • Payday!
    • Early dismissal for Conferences, 11:10
  • Thursday 15 Mar
    • Early dismissal for Conferences, 12:25
  • Friday 16 Mar
    • Emergency drill (fire), 9:30
    • Early dismissal for Conferences, 12:25


Please acknowledge that you read this post.


P.S.
Several of Eva Herberger's and Amy Ronn's students successfully participated in the regional winter Special Olympics games at Snowbowl this week.  Congrats to all!