First of all, massive thanks to Malinda, Erin, and Janelle for keeping it all together up here in the front office during my unplanned absence this week. Well done!
By the way, I'm pretty sure I had a run-of-the-mill GI-virus and not some creepy, more-serious bacterial infection from under-cooked food. So please don't let my paranoia dissuade you from attending the Random Acts Of Kindness South In Your Mouth dinner next year. It's still a super good time, and apparently just as safe-as-can-be.
Thanks, as well, to all'y'all for the thoughtful Boss' Day card. I honestly didn't know it was Boss' Day until someone pointed it out to me on Wednesday morning. Still kinda weird to think of myself as "a boss" but it means a lot to me to know that some of you think I'm doing okay at it. I'm trying.
Serendipity
Nancy McCleskey stopped in my office the other day and asked me, "How many times have you cried doing this job?" Which is unusual, if only because earlier the same day I'd read this article on The Onion:
I'll be honest, sometimes, both as a teacher and as a principal, I've really felt like crying. And on more than one occasion, any number of my principal cohorts have told me of their compulsion to sit in the car and weep quiet tears at the end of a long, hard day. I get it. Believe me.
However, my all-too-honest response to Nancy was, "Never. Not that I haven't wanted to. I just haven't been able to." Maybe I'm a robot. Maybe I blame Mrs. Bromley for the things she said to me when I was 10. I dunno. But I understand the compulsion to cry. We all get there from time to time. Nothing wrong with that.
On occasion some of you have come into my office and cried. I get that, too. Believe me. I'm never stoked to see you cry, or hear about your sadness. It hurts me to see you hurting. But as I write this to you on this Boss' Day, I'm pleased to be able to acknowledge that for many of you, you view my office as a safe place to vent, to let down your guard, and to have a good honest cry.
Nothing wrong with that, either.
New Tabs
Did you notice the three new tabs at the top of the blog? I'm in the process of revising and editing our new school-wide Emergency Plan and thought I'd add a few components of it to the permanent record here on The Blue Note Blog.
Might be a good idea to review each of them now, particularly in light of our upcoming Lockdown Drill. In the near future they'll be reprinted for you as the Lockdown, Fire Drill, and Evacuations procedure policies which will be included in your new Red Folder materials.
Vacation Day
I will be out on Friday, 25 Oct. I am taking an honest-to-goodness vacation day to attend the Zendaya concert in Phoenix. She's my daughter's current-favorite singer/dancer and we're going on a daddy-daughter date to see her show at the State Fair. We have reserved tix in the fourth row and, well, my kid is counting-the-days-super-stoked to go, so I am really looking forward to it.
Calendar
Week A
- Monday, 21 Oct
- Lockdown Drill, ~10:30
- Tuesday, 22 Oct
- FAST parent meeting in the Gym, 6:00-8:00
- Friday, 25 Oct
- Coe in PHX -- Reasor has the helm (again!)
Please acknowledge that you read this post.
If you're having trouble acknowledging The Blue Note Blog because your browser defaults to a Google Docs log-in when you click the "please acknowledge" link above, it's because you're currently logged into your FUSD Google account. To fix this problem, log out of your FUSD Google account and then click "please acknowledge" again. It will work this time. Promise.
If you're having trouble acknowledging The Blue Note Blog because your browser defaults to a Google Docs log-in when you click the "please acknowledge" link above, it's because you're currently logged into your FUSD Google account. To fix this problem, log out of your FUSD Google account and then click "please acknowledge" again. It will work this time. Promise.